In its latest newsletter, Seychelles Islands Foundation (SIF) has announced "After this lengthy eradication mission and innumerable unexpected complications along the way, it is with enormous relief, and sincere gratitude to our partners, the Islands Development Company and Island Conservation Society, our funders, the European Union, that we are able to announce the successful eradication of both red-whiskered bulbuls and Madagascar fodies from the island of Assomption.
These species were introduced to Assomption in 1977 by Mauritian lessees of the island. They have been identified by scientists as a threat to the endemic birds of neighbouring Aldabra, which is managed by SIF. Aldabra has no introduced bird species.
It is believed that this is the first successful eradication of these alien species anywhere in the world.
For a full copy of the SIF newsletter click here.
The Select Committee of the National Assembly with a special mandate to look at island issues has visited Farquhar. Present on the trip were committee members Wavel Ramkalawan Chairman of the Committee), Bernard Georges, Sabastien Pillay, Charles de Commarmond, Clifford Andre and Chantal Ghislain together with Deputy Speaker Nicholas Prea and LDS Chief Whip Ahmed Afif and consultants Irine Fonseka and Jerry Morin. IDC were represented by Chairman Patrick Berlouis, CEO Glenny Savy and board member Patrick Lablache.
The delegation were able to see at first hand the extent of damage to the environment and infrastructure at Farquhar following Cyclone Fantala. They were also able to inspect the repair work undertaken since the damage was caused including provision to make buildings as cyclone proof as possible.
For full story and more pictures from Seychelles Nation click here.
Michael Payet, Public Relations & Communications Manager at IDC has handed over to English River Secondary School a donation on behalf of the company, comprising furniture and a shelter facility for the school.The donation was received for the school by Head Teacher Marie-Claude Morel in a small ceremony at the school on 21 February.
The different items donated include a semi-permeable shelter to protect against the sun called ‘La Salle Verte’, four sets of benches and tables made by Green Island Construction Company. The items are environment friendly and will benefit the children throughout their school sessions, providing them with better comfort.
“IDC is engaged in a lot of projects to serve the community" said Michael Payet. "This project at the English River secondary school started last year when we donated chairs and tables, and renovated the S block along with electrical works. We hope that the students will use those new items wisely. IDC will continue to provide necessary support for as long as it is able to do so.”
Head teacher Morel thanked IDC for the generous donation, saying "“We want to thank IDC for such kind donation. The ‘La Salle Verte’ will enable the students, teachers and parents and other invitees to assemble to perform social and educational activities. It also creates space for exhibitions on theme days such as World Environment Day, World Food Day and Bio-diversity Day, etc.. The school has now enough benches and students won’t have to sit on the concrete floor during lunch.”
IDC has further projects planned for other schools, including Perseverance and Grand Anse.
For the full story published in Seychelles Nation click here.
IDC CEO Glenny Savy has announced that construction of a luxury hotel on Platte Island will commence in 2018. Feasibility study and environmental impact assessments have been done, and the project is expected to start once the planning authority gives its approval. The new hotel will have 50 to 60 rooms at a cost of around $70 to $75 million. The project will be carried out by a member of the Four Seasons hotel group with 80% of shares, with IDC holding the remaining 20%. The airstrip will be resurfaced as a part of the project. The land will be leased to the developer for 60 years and, at the end of that period, all infrastructure will revert to IDC.
“For those 60 years, they will pay rental for the leased land. We will sell them our services, such as flights and boat transport to carry fuel, equipment and merchandise to the island for which we get paid,” Mr Savy said.
IDC are currently looking to fill a number of job vacancies within the company. For more information please click below.